I’ve had my own video game company for 2 years now, and I think for a person like me it’s the best job in the world. For all you other nerds who would like to go down a similar path, I’ve simplified the process into 10 easy steps. Note: This is definitely not the only way to go, but it’s what worked for me.
1. Teach yourself how to make a video game.
2. Make a video game. A complete video game.
3. Use the game you’ve created as a way to get a job in a professional established, company in the games industry.
4. Re-learn how to make video games the better way.
5. Learn how not to make video games, and learn how to hate unpaid ‘crunch’ mode.
6. Leave your job in the game industry and get an easy job with absolutely no overtime.
7. Make your own game using your newly freed-up hours.
8. Realize working part-time means you will never finish your game
9. Get massive support from your spouse/partner/friend/family/dog (including financial support)
10. Go full time!
Caveat: Steps 1,2,5, and 7 are really hard!
It’s all worth it because now we get to work here:
Instead of here: